Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Red Hat and No Knickers!

Red Hat and No Knickers!


just like you dear reader, i am a typical example of today's woman.  that is to say i juggle being a housewife and mum with work.

i think of it as wearing 'different hats' for the different things i do each day.

the two hats i wear most regularly (metaphorically speaking) are what i call my 'boring beret' and my 'flamboyant feathery fluff.'


as you have probably guessed dear reader i wear my boring beret when i have to be in housewife and mum mode.  and of course i don't have to tell you that it involves exciting things like 'where's my football boots?'  'have you seen the car keys?' and really exciting things like 'what's for tea?'

my little escapism from this each day is to take my dog monty for his daily sniff and search around the park.  as we're walking along, monty trotting with his tail looking like a flag, and me in an assortment of petticoats, colours and handmade attire, i let my imagination soar high in the sky and i'm instantly wearing my 'flamboyant feathery fluff.'


this extravagent headpiece is decorated with rare exotic feathers, encrusted with priceless jewels and made out of gorgeous red velvet - for don't forget dear reader this is a hat of my imagination where there are no limits and no recession!


as i walk along wearing this gorgeous hat (think of something similar to the hats worn in Downton Abbey and you get the idea) my work mode starts to kick in.  i call it work but really i should call it play.  as you know i am an artist running my own business but i don't really think of it as work because i absolutely love what i do.  that is to say, each day i let my imagination loose and create art and homewares out of fabrics, photos and lots of vintage finds.  how can i really call it work when i feel its how i live and breathe each day?

with each step i take i get new ideas for things i can make when i get back home and into my studio.  shall i do some sewing? or make a collage? or sort out my hundreds of vintage photos and postcards into some kind of order?  who knows what i shall feel like when i back home.

as i get through the door, wipe the dirt off little monty's feet and put the kettle on, i start to get little doubts creeping into my head and suddenly my 'flamboyant feathery fluff' has disappeared and the 'boring beret' is back in place.


i have been rather busy making more stock for the shops i supply.i could do some sewing but really j edgar hoover should visit the downstairs rooms.  i could sort out my vintage lace ready to trim a cushion i have already made but really the bathroom needs cleaning.

then it suddenly dawns on me.  for the last few days the dirty laundry pile has slowly crept higher and higher until it is overflowing out of the basket and i know from getting dressed this morning that the underwear situation has got to the critical stage. i must be sensible and keep wearing my 'boring beret' and get the washing done, because if i don't and i wear my 'flamboyant fleathery fluff' made of red velvet, i really will be known as the lady with a 'Red Hat and No Knickers!'


No comments:

Post a Comment